[WSBAPT] Pre-Death TEDRA?

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Tue Nov 14 08:04:48 PST 2023

Brent,

First off, this is exactly the kind of peacekeeping and creative, proactive lawyering we should all be doing. So, bravo you. (Not that you need my accolades, but life is short, so…)

Second, I don’t have a concrete answer, but I sure wish I had time today to go look at the statutes to see what I’d fine. Assuming you have all interested parties “onboard,” I would start by looking at TEDRA statutes to see if anything limits it to post-death intestacy administration, probate, and trust matters; and I guess at adult guardianship/conservatorship statutes to see if they prohibit something like “all interested persons” from agreeing to something that maybe a court can then simply approve upon petition on the ward’s (is that still the word?; I don’t engage those statutes, so forgive my ignorance) behalf without appointment of a formal GAL.

If one of those was a blockade, I would think through whether all parties EXCEPT the dad without capacity could enter into a non-TEDRA good old fashioned settlement and release that would bind them all and provide for injunctive relief and damages if any party challenged an outcome (in probate court or a trust administration, say) that “matched” the provisions stated in the settlement/release. Unless some relevant law prohibited such an agreement, I don’t know why parties with capacity could not agree.

Now, atop all of that are tax agencies, which couldn’t care less about any of the above. All of this seems much easier if there are no estate tax, significant income tax (but you mention RMDs), and other “tax shifting” going on that would reduce taxes payable to some state or federal agency. If the result is just shifting taxes from Person A to Person B, and not evading taxes, then I would at least continue my consideration of the option I identify in the first steps above. Otherwise, I’d switch to focusing on what would be required – and if it would even be possible with dad’s incapacity – to achieve the desired outcome if it’s unavoidably going to cause a tax problem the parties cannot simply “draft around.”

So, that may all be “duh Josh” material. And, if so, my apologies. But if it helps identify (initial) issues, then great!

I’d love to hear how you proceed if everyone remains friendly and nobody discovers something to fight about while you set upon this worthy endeavor!

Best, Josh