[WSBAPT] PRs/TTEEs hiring own children as estate employees

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Mon Nov 6 21:30:19 PST 2023

Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva

November 6, 2023

Joshua,

Living in King County, $20.00 for a person’s time sounds pretty
reasonable to me. That’s pretty close to the legal minimum wage in
Seattle. I think most housecleaners in Seattle charge at least $25.00 an
hour. So, in Seattle, I'd let an underemployed adult child have that
wage.

But, generally, the overall costs you cite seem high to me too.

I had an out-of-state PR who didn’t charge for her time, but she sent me
a boxful of receipts for out-of-state travel for both herself and her
husband, purchases that were clearly not related (like a receipt for a
$500.00 refrigerator, a car repair, all sorts of clothing for the family
allegedly to attend the funeral, souvenirs at the airport, general
shopping while in-state for the funeral as well as restaurant meals for
herself, her husband and a group of the deceased’s friends.) This was in
addition to cleaning supplies, etc.  There were only two beneficiaries,
herself and her brother.

I approached the PR from the position that 1) the PR truly didn’t
understand how to submit expenses and 2) the court really does supervise
everyone’s work to make sure it complies with our statutes, including
mine, so we want to get it right.

I empathized with the PR about the stress of attending to her PR
obligations on top of her regular day. Let her know that in the chaos,
she may have sent me some receipts that she may have been saving for
another purpose. I explained that even though she hadn’t charged for her
time, even though she had the absolute right to do so and I encouraged
her to do so, her brother could still challenge her expenses. If he did
so, I explained that the court would review expenses and say yeah or
nay.

I apologized for my error in not having given more specific guidance
upfront. I then gave guidance for what kinds of things where permissible
and not permissible as costs of administration. I explained that I
didn’t want the estate to incur costs to respond to a challenge by
brother ( who was of modest means and had already asked to see all
records, etc.), so better to get it right the first time.  She was
pretty apologetic and said “you go through and let me know what is okay
and what I sent in error.”

I think you can gather information from the PR about some of your
concerns.  Let the PR know the cleaning looks a little high. What does
PR think? If the deceased was a hoarder, 80 hours of cleaning might be
lightening speed and a great deal for the estate …  Are other
beneficiaries familiar with the home? Would they think the cleaning was
high and is there a risk of a challenge?

Same with bank errands and mileage. In your case, you can let them know
how to properly claim mileage for errands, and even though it’s
understandable that they may be more comfortable with a sibling’s
company when handling errands, the court will expect them to choose
which one will be compensated - unless there is a reason why the
presence of both would be required.

If there were MANY trips to the bank, ask about this. Electronic banking
is pretty common. Would other beneficiaries challenge this? If it's an
older person walking in to the bank to deposit a check, that might be
more understandable than a 24 year old feeling like they must deposit a
check in person. [ My husband still sends a hard copy check to providers
for utilities, etc.]  But, within reason, the court will expect those
administering an estate to manage wisely.

It’s our job to make sure that expenses are claimed properly. If there
is a challenge, we need to demonstrate that we made a proper inquiry and
that we provided guidance, and that the expenses submitted can be
defended. I think most PR’s will self correct (or have their kids
self-correct) when procedures are brought to their attention.

I’ve had a couple situations where one co-PR has taken pretty big
liberties with their expenses. (Like flying from the Bay area to Seattle
to go to the bank more than once.)  When expenses look irregular. I ask
to make sure I understand the submittal. In each case, with a minor
adjustment (like you can only fly to the bank once), the reasonable PR
has been willing to shine on the unreasonable PR’s submittal to keep the
family peace.

So, if there is a way to defend an expense and the potentially harmed
parties are okay with it, it’s okay with me. If it’s not, then I help
the parties arrive at a middle ground to avoid a court challenge.

Good luck! It looks like you have your work cut out for you!  Keep us
posted!

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 940