[WSBAPT] Pension Overpayment and Creditor Claims

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Wed Nov 1 17:40:33 PDT 2023

Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva

November 1, 2023

Heather,

I agree with Diane that the claim would be against the wife's estate,
not the husband who predeceased and whose pension wife continued to
collect.

I believe it would be considered fraud, probably criminal as well as
civil, on the part of the now deceased wife to have collected and
retained the pension funds of a deceased person.
So, I probably wouldn't make pension administrator cite a law or
statute, but it's reasonable to give the pension administrator notice
and make them give a sum certain sooner than later so that it can be
satisfied if the estate has the money to satisfy the overpayment.

I suspect the pension administrator probably has some authority that
interest, etc. can be charged for the overpayments. So, maybe if PR is
really nice to administrator, they will just ask for principal and not
argue about penalties and/ or interest.

Andrekita Silva
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 940