[WSBAPT] Pension Overpayment and Creditor Claims

Shannon Jones shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com
Wed Nov 1 16:59:17 PDT 2023

Seems like if H died in 2020 and they did not seek repayment until 2 years after his death, then the claim is expired against H under RCW 11.40.051(1)(c) and the only claim is against the recipient of the payment (W). I would send the Notice to the Pension Trust Administrator. I am not seeing a downside. If they then file a claim and pursue recoupment from W's estate, maybe ask for the legal authority supporting their right to recoupment from her. Perhaps they can cite to a code provision and/or IRS requirement to recoup, and/or the pension trust itself  - Shannon