[WSBAPT] Out of State Property in LLC

JOHN J SULLIVAN sullaw at comcast.net
Wed May 31 13:18:10 PDT 2023

Brent:

You were given faulty advice. The state under whose law the LLC is created is irrelevant. In addition, an interest in a legal entity (other than a beneficial interest in a revocable trust), even one that is a "disregarded entity" in the eyes of the IRS, is characterized as intangible personal property. It is sourced under WA's estate tax law to the state of the decedent's domicile. It is not "located" in CA just because it is created under its laws and holds real property there.

The advice that this structure avoids inclusion of the value of the CA real property in the WA estate tax base is faulty because it does the opposite - it ensures inclusion in the base of a decedent domiciled in WA at the time of death. Same result if it's held in a WA LLC, except then you might need to register it in CA as a foreign LLC if it's "doing business."

To avoid inclusion in the WA estate tax base and ancillary probate under CA's more expensive and intrusive probate system, the real property should not be held directly, with the PC on title. Instead, it should end up in a single purpose (or full purpose if you want) revocable living trust. Then it is sourced under WA's estate tax law to where the dirt is - CA - and eliminated from the numerator for apportionment purposes here. (Last time I checked CA still has not enacted a stand-alone estate tax.)

One last issue. I call it the tax tail that wags the dog. If you advise the client to restructure how the CA realty is owned, keep an eye on Prop 13. There are nuances that may limit how to transfer the realty from the LLC to the RLT without triggering a revaluation for property tax purposes. And by the way, another reason you might want to hold the realty in a trust with its situs (locus of management) in WA is to avoid CA's income tax down the road if and when the RLT becomes irrevocable and no longer a "disregarded entity.

Cheers.

John J. Sullivan