[WSBAPT] Rental income from an asset subject to a specific bequest?

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Tue May 30 18:49:28 PDT 2023

Thanks to Eric and to Amy Lewis,

Authority and food for thought!

  Bruce Moen
________________________________
From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> on behalf of Eric Nelsen <eric at sayrelawoffices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2023 10:43 AM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Rental income from an asset subject to a specific bequest?

I haven’t searched case law, but would the immediate vesting rule under RCW 11.04.250 and RCW 11.04.290 suggest that rents from real estate that immediately vests also goes to that beneficiary? RCW 11.04.250 says:

The title and right to possession of such lands, tenements, or hereditaments so vested in such heirs or devisees, together with the rents, issues, and profits thereof, shall be good and valid against all persons claiming adversely to the claims of any such heirs, or devisees, excepting only the personal representative when appointed, and persons lawfully claiming under such personal representative....

I know that it’s still subject to the PR and the Estate debts, but if there is a specific bequest of real estate, then I think the abatement scheme under RCW 11.10.010 would mean that the rents would be classified as specific bequest, same as the real estate itself. Which means the PR needs to exhaust intestate and residuary property before invading the rents to pay estate expenses.

On the other hand, should the rents be used to pay property-specific expenses, such as property taxes and insurance, or are those general administrative expenses? I dunno.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen

Sayre Law Offices, PLLC