[WSBAPT] Transfer of Interests in Real Property

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue May 30 13:18:14 PDT 2023

The statute is clear that the property vests in the heirs, subject to estate claims/debts; it does not say that property vests in the estate, to be later transferred to heirs. If it said the latter, then appointment of a PR and execution of a deed to transfer would be essential. But because it says the former, no deed is needed; just a court order determining who the heirs/devisees are and confirming ownership, rather than conveying ownership.

When I get title commitments on estate properties, the commitment typically shows vesting in "heirs and devisees of XX, deceased," which I think is technically correct: the title company agrees that 11.04.250 vests the property in the heirs, but they're not specifically named because there has not yet been any formal adjudication determining who the heirs or devisees are.

I do think that title companies are willing to take the risk, and insure title in a specific person, if they receive an affidavit of lack of probate and all the other circumstances are right. For example, when insuring title in a surviving spouse when more than 2 years have passed since the first spouse died.

I wouldn't say that title transfers at death to "the estate" though that's certainly a practical way to look at it, since any inheritance by heirs and devisees is necessarily subject to estate expenses, etc. Nevertheless, I don't think that an "estate" is an entity that can hold title to real property in the technical sense of title ownership. While a probate is pending, it's technically owned by heirs and devisees, but that ownership is moot as a practical matter compared to the PR's authority to pay debts, sell assets, etc. The PR's authority against the heirs' ownership is so strong it can result in complete divestment. Bickford v. Stewart, 55 Wash. 278, 286, 104 P. 263 (1909). Only after an estate is closed can an heir treat inheritance property as their own. In re Peterson's Estate, 12 Wn.2d 686, 734, 123 P.2d 733 (1942).

Put another way: It's a question of separation between ownership and control. After a title owner has died, the identity of the new title owner is unknown until there is an adjudication of heirs/devisees. Control over the property also resides in the heirs/devisees (with the caveat that no one can know for sure if they are actually an heir until an adjudication occurs); but the control over the property switches to the PR if one is appointed.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC