[WSBAPT] Error on EIN application has IRS asking for 1041 returns back to creation of RLT

msilver at wolfenet.com msilver at wolfenet.com
Thu May 4 11:35:17 PDT 2023

I don't think you would want to try that.  However, if there was reportable
before death it should have been reported on decedent's 1040.  You might
reply to the letter and show them the caption and operative provisions in
the trust and indicate the income was due on and properly reported on the
tp's 1040 until death.  In a pinch you could show them that if in fact there
was income it was included in the taxpayer's 1040 but you don't want to
provoke an audit so I would not send  1040's right off the bat.  If income
was in fact on the 1040I would be surprised if the error was not fixable
nunc pro tunc .