[WSBAPT] Error on EIN application has IRS asking for 1041 returns back to creation of RLT

Jon Fritzler FritzlerLaw at outlook.com
Thu May 4 11:03:40 PDT 2023

I represent the successor trustee of a revocable living trust that was created in 2014. The trustor died in March of this year. Before retaining me, my client obtained an EIN for the trust. The EIN confirmation letter from the IRS indicates that fiduciary income tax returns (Form 1041) are due dating back to 2015.  My assumption is that when my client applied for the EIN, he gave the starting date of the trust as the date it was created rather than the date it became irrevocable, i.e., the date of death.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?  Can the EIN application be amended?

Sincerely,
Jon M. Fritzler
Attorney at Law
717 E. 22nd St.