[WSBAPT] German citizen-US legal permanent resident

Laura Latta laura at lauralatta.com
Thu Mar 30 12:38:46 PDT 2023

The major issue facing married couples where either spouse is not a U.S.
citizen is that the spousal deduction is not available without the use of a
qualified domestic trust. If the estate passing from the citizen spouse to
the non-citizen spouse is below the individual exemption amount this is
usually not a problem. Note that permanent residents can still claim the
standard individual exemption, but non-resident aliens are subject to a
lower individual exemption amount.

I never advise non-citizen clients on the tax implications in their country
of citizenship and instead recommend consulting an attorney/tax advisor
there as part of the planning process.

I have attached an article which I found useful for getting a base
understanding of the tax issues for non-citizen couples. It's a few years
old and so should be checked for updates to the specific statutes cited,
but the overall discussion of the issues at play is useful.

*Laura LattaLaw Office of Laura Latta PLLC*

she/her

Phone (206) 841-2344

www.LauraLatta.com

4010 Lake Washington Blvd. NE Ste. 202

Kirkland, WA 98033

*NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by
replying to this email and immediately delete the message and any
attachments without copying it or disclosing its contents to others.*