[WSBAPT] Notice to homeless.

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Sun Mar 26 18:05:51 PDT 2023

Claudia and listserve generally

I am so sorry - I honestly don't know how I fell into this method but I did use it in a case - not sure if validly lol but here is some information from USPS and I think my client indicated that the client knew the homeless relative collected information from the post office.  I can see  this knowledge makes a difference.  I think outside of having the knowledge you need to take notice by publication in lieu of personal service where required.   I can confess that recently it just dawned on me mailing TEDRA notice was fine so I guess double check what statute you are under.  Also note the statutes that allow for service to last known address - if there is an address that is last known, if you take reasonable steps (and I would suspect some would argue if the statute says last known, it means last known - additional steps not necessary) and don't find anything different, and the statute allows, you are okay to mail to last known.

What is General Delivery?
General Delivery is a mail service for those without a permanent address, often used as a temporary mailing address.
Oct 25, 2019*Knowledge
Article Number
000006989
Customer Information

General Delivery is a mail service for those without a permanent address, often used as a temporary mailing address. General Delivery is intended to be used for:

  *   Post Office(tm) locations without city carrier delivery service.
  *   Non-city delivery offices for those who prefer not to use Post Office Box service and for whom use of Post Office box, Caller Service, or delivery by letter carrier, would be an unreasonable inconvenience.
  *   A participating Post Office to serve transients (people who travel extensively) and those without a permanent address.
  *   Anyone who wants Post Office box service when Post Office boxes are unavailable.
How do I address a mailpiece sent to General Delivery?
NAME
GENERAL DELIVERY
CITY STATE ZIP
What are the restrictions on the use of the General Delivery service?
General delivery is normally available at only one facility under the administration of a Post Office with multiple facilities. A postmaster may authorize more than one facility to offer general delivery service in accordance with customer and operational needs. A customer may use only one such location.
Postmasters may restrict the use of General Delivery if a customer:

  *   Cannot present suitable identification
  *   Has mail volume or service level (e.g., mail accumulation) that cannot be reasonably accommodated.
If you wish to pick your mail up before regular delivery occurs, we suggest that you purchase a Post Office Box for a nominal fee (so that your mail is available for pickup every morning).
Additional information regarding General Delivery:

  *   No application is required for General Delivery. Persons interested in General Delivery should speak with the postmaster.
  *   Limitations on the amount of time you are able to use General Delivery, if any, are determined by the postmaster.
  *   Each piece of General Delivery mail is held for no more than 30 days, unless the sender requests a shorter period. General Delivery mail may be held for longer periods if requested by sender or addressee and approved by postmaster. Mail without a specific address or instructions from the sender is held for:
     *   10 days if for General Delivery at an office with letter-carrier service.
     *   15 days if for General Delivery at an office without letter-carrier service.
Please Note: General Delivery mail is not delivered on Sunday or Holidays.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.