[WSBAPT] Capital gains exclusion on sale of residence for estate?

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Tue Mar 21 20:01:58 PDT 2023

The answer is no.  If a single person dies owning a residence, and her estate sells the residence, no §121 exclusion will be available to the estate, for the simple reason that §121 contains no provision allowing an exclusion to an estate.  At one time such an exclusion was allowed by §121(d)(11), but that provision was repealed in 2010 by P.L. 111-312.
Of course, the estate would have received a stepped-up basis on the date of death, so the unavailability of the exclusion is not a particularly harsh result, unless the estate experienced very high post-mortem appreciation.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500