[WSBAPT] Recording PR Deeds with Letters Testamentary

jbdolan at jbdolan.com jbdolan at jbdolan.com
Mon Mar 20 10:36:21 PDT 2023

Colleagues:

For as long as I can remember, we have always recorded Letters Testamentary
with PR Deeds.  The PR Deed specifically references the Letters Testamentary
"attached as Exhibit A."

Suddenly, in the past two weeks, we have had two PR Deeds that we mailed to
two different counties recorded and returned to us without the Letters
recorded.  In both instances, the auditor kept the original Letters
Testamentary, which cost us $5.00 and which always have been recorded with
the PR Deed and returned to us along with the original Deed.   The recorded
Deed was returned, with no explanation why they recorded the PR Deed without
the Letters.  The auditor also kept the full recording fee, even though it
included an extra $1.00 for the extra page.  We now have two recorded
documents that refer to an attachment that does not exist.

What do others do when recording PR Deeds?  Do you include the Letters
Testamentary?

Jim Dolan

===================

Jones Butler Dolan, PS