[WSBAPT] social security question

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Mon Mar 13 20:47:14 PDT 2023

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

March 13, 2023

I agree with Diane.

I'll qualify by saying that I also don’t practice in the area of
social security law. But I have had a couple cases where social
security benefits that were paid were at issue. In my cases, the
benefits paid were paid for the benefit of 1) a disabled child (under
age 21) based on the child’s disability and in the other 2) benefits
paid for a child based on the parent’s disability , and then benefits
paid DIRECTLY to the child after 18th birthday, but while still in
high school.

Diane is correct. Social security benefits paid for the benefit of
another are first for the beneficiaries basic necessities food,
housing, clothing, transportation and then for whatever else the child
might need or want (vacations, entertainment, etc.). If grandmother
was providing room and board for the child, unless grandmother was a
miser, grandmother most certainly covered those expenses for the
child. It’s not like the monthly benefit is a fortune….

So, if grandmother set the money aside, I would agree with Diane that
grandmother is free to put the money into other endeavors. If those
endeavors are for the child, it shouldn’t matter how old the child is
and/ or for what purpose. If grandmother wants to buy a house for
herself with money she saved up on child’s name, if it comes to
someone’s attention, grandmother might have to provide an accounting
of expenses for the grandchild to show she provided for the child’s
needs and she is simply reimbursing herself.

If grandmother put the money in an UTMA or an UGMA etc. an account
that has rules, then she has to follow the rules  created for those
accounts.  With UTMA’s, I know there is an age ( 21 or 23, I forget)
where the funds become the child’s automatically. The financial
institution will, literally, remove the custodian from the account and
rename the account in the name of the child.

Once a child turns 18, based on the case I had,  if they are still
eligible for benefits on the basis of another person's disability or
retirement, the benefits are paid by SSA directly to the
beneficiary/child. The disabled or retired person can't get their
hands on them even if they are still supporting child. The child would
have to voluntarily hand them over.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000