[WSBAPT] Deed/Title Question

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Tue Mar 7 16:28:21 PST 2023

I rarely disagree with Diane, but I will stick my neck out this time.
Let's say that my brother Sam died, and I am the trustee.  Sam signed his RLT in 2007, and died in 2015.
The first deed should be from Phil Jones, successor trustee of the Sam Jones RLT u/a/d 1/1/07 to Phil Jones, trustee of the Sam Jones Exemption Trust u/a/d 1/1/07.
Both trusts are controlled by the same piece of paper, the same governing document, and the date of that document never changes.  The date of funding is not relevant.  One trust is governed by article IV and one is governed by article VII.
When someone goes to a title company or a bank and is asked for the governing document of either trust, the same piece of paper will be handed over.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500