[WSBAPT] Local's death in foreign country

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Tue Mar 7 16:14:14 PST 2023

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

March 7, 2023

The U.S. Consulate located in a foreign country is ordinarily supposed
to help U.S. Citizens having problems abroad where the Consulate is
located.  So, I believe you would contact the U.S. Embassy where the
person died.

I don’t know if they would take specific steps to get you a death
certificate- I assume every consulate's office is different depending
on who is staffing it-  but they should certainly tell you where and
how to go about getting it.

You should be able to google for the contact info for the embassy and
consulates office abroad. If you can’t find it, I assume the U.S.
State Department could help you find the contact info for the embassy.
However, they probably won’t do more than that.

If you know exactly where this person died, you can search the
internet to get this information directly.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com[1]

Quoting Doug Schafer <schafer at pobox.com>:

> A local US citizen died in a foreign country, Kenya, and a sibling
> contacted me about opening a probate. Anybody familiar with
> obtaining proof of death in such a case? Does the US State
> Department assist in providing a death certificate or other proof?
>
> Doug Schafer, in Tacoma.

Links:
------
[1] http://www.seattle-silvalaw.com/