[WSBAPT] in personum jurisdiction under TEDRA

Doug Schafer schafer at pobox.com
Thu Jun 1 22:51:32 PDT 2023

I think we're missing something -- "the asset involved in an investment
account." Assume, as is likely, that the account is with an out-of-state
online brokerage or mutual fund sponsor. The terms of the investment
entity's contractual account agreement with the account owner provide that
the entity will recognize the owner's designated beneficiary as the new
owner of the account upon proof of death of the original owner--the
decedent here. Or it may be an IRA or an account in an employee benefit
plan with comparable beneficiary terms in the governing plan document. I
fail to see that there is a "res" in the state of Washington over which the
local court has jurisdiction. The decedent's intangible rights under his
contract with the account provider terminated upon his death.

And in this specific case, the investment entity, pursuant to its
contractual obligation, has given the beneficiary "possession and control
of the asset," either by selling the investment(s) and distributing the
proceeds to the beneficiary or by allowing the beneficiary to open an new
account with the investments transferred to it. There is no "res" in
Washington state, and the beneficiary took no action relating to Washington
state that would support application of the long-arm statute giving a
Washington court personal jurisdiction over the beneficiary. So any suit
against the beneficiary would need to be in his/her home state, and its
courts might not agree that Washington law applies to the beneficiary's
receipt of the investment account proceeds.

I note that RCW 11.02.005(13) defines "nonprobate asset" as NOT including
"A payable-on-death provision of a life insurance policy, annuity, or other
similar contract, or of an employee benefit plan." Arguably, the
legislature recognized that it lacked authority to override the contractual
terms of insurance policies, annuities and similar contracts, and employee
benefit plans. The US Contstitution provides, at Article I, Section 10,
Clause 1: "No state shall ... pass any ... Law impairing the Obligation of
Contracts". That would seem equally applicable to a contract specifying the
pay-upon-death terms of an investment account. So I don't believe the
estate, in this case, can successfully sue the investment entity (e.g.,
brokerage or mutual fund sponsor) for honoring its contract.

It's also possible that the decedent's investment was a variable life
insurance policy, or variable annuity contract, that is based on a
portfolio of stocks, bonds, and mutual funds, or was an IRA sponsored by an
insurance company and documented as an insurance product.
(https://www.statefarm.com/finances/retirement-plans-iras/individual-retirement-accounts).

Doug Schafer, in Tacoma.