[WSBAPT] legal separation

ak at seattle-silvalaw.com ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Fri Jul 28 23:11:51 PDT 2023

Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

July 28, 2023

Robert,

You said your client was “legally separated.” Do you mean that client
filed a petition for LS and a decree of LS was issued?

If there is a decree of legal separation, wife is still wife.  Other
spouse can’t go off and marry someone else.  When a couple files for
divorce, if someone dies during the divorce proceeding, even if there
was already a trial but not final orders,  the action abates. It’s as if
no one had filed anything.  So, LS wife who never said marriage was
irretrievably broken can’t be any worse off than someone who at one
point alleged the marriage WAS irretrievably broken.

Usually, a decree of LS will divide all assets. A decree of LS probably
states whether or not wife has interest in retirement or if it became
H’s separate property.  If husband doesn’t have a Will, then I think
separate property goes according to RCW intestate statutes, so were
there children? If there was a Will, the Will controls. It will depend
on the language in the Will.

The right to control disposition of remains is addressed at RCW
68.50.160. If deceased left no directions, etc. then subsection (3)(c)
gives surviving spouse the “duty of disposition” of the remains and also
the liability for the costs for funeral, etc.

I haven’t researched the issue but if wife wants the rights of a
“surviving spouse,” I think she should cite the above statute.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101