[WSBAPT] Probate Including Real Property Owned as Tenancy-in-Common, Other Tenant Predeceased Decedent and No Identified Heirs or Estate

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Jul 27 17:15:39 PDT 2023

Watch out for the color of title requirement in order to assert adverse possession by payment of taxes for 7 years under RCW 7.28.070. I just did research recently on that point and being a tenant in common on title isn't sufficient to show "color of title in good faith" to the other TIC owner's interest. See Nicholas v. Cousins, 1 Wn.App. 133, 459 P.2d 970 (1969). There needs to be some kind of instrument of record, however bogus, that appears to give title solely to the plaintiff. See Scramlin v. Warner, 69 Wn.2d 6, 416 P.2d 699 (1966).

Partition probably would work? The tricky bit will be naming defendants-can't sue the estate of the other deceased owner because there's no PR, and you don't have any names of potential heirs or devisees. Will need due diligence to support an affidavit under RCW 4.28.140, name "unknown heirs" and get the court's permission to serve by publication.

Even finding one heir at law to the other decedent might be worth it-gives you somebody to serve and/or gain cooperation from, and gives the court better confidence that service by publication isn't just a procedural grab for ownership of the whole property. Could use a genealogist instead of an investigator, since you know the actual owner is deceased.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC