[WSBAPT] QUESTION - BENEFICIARY DOES NOT WANT BEQUEST

Jennifer L White jen at appletreelaw.com
Thu Jul 13 11:47:08 PDT 2023

Hi Fern,
A few thoughts tagging onto Eric's cogent post:

  *   Like Eric questioned, it would be helpful to know exactly how this interest is classified to know what your options are in handling it in relation to the probate and closing same.
  *   If this is indeed a beneficiary designated IRA and this heir is one of the named beneficiaries, then isn't it non-probate and you can disregard dealing with it in the probate?
  *   In any event, you cannot just give it to the others without the errant relative disclaiming it. If it is after the 9 months, then it would be a non-qualified disclaimer. Tax attorneys chime in here, but if that is the case, then wouldn't the refusing heir still have some potential income taxes due on an RMD even if he disclaims (after the 9 months)?
  *   I have had this a couple of times over the years. One, the beneficiary in question was homeless out of state and we lost touch with him.  We were just about to do the statutory procedure (RCW 11.76.200, etc.) but were notified he had passed away, solving his disappearance. The worst one was for over $400K. We had to hire a PI to even find him as he had been estranged from the family for over 20 years. He was up in the bush of Alaska. Fortunately for us, the guy hired an attorney for a short time period near the end of the probate. We ended up getting a cashiers check from the bank for his share (thereby removing it from the estate account so it could be closed) and then transmitted it to his then attorney making it his problem. My PR was friends with the bank President where we got the check issued. He periodically checked the internal bank records for us and the check was never negotiated. I think it eventually ended up at unclaimed property per banking regulations. My client and the other sib's always figured if it went there and they got proof he was deceased, that they would make a claim then. The relative had never married and did not have any known descendants.

Good luck!

Jennifer L. White, Esq.
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D9B57E.F815DF30]

jen at appletreelaw.com<mailto:jen at appletreelaw.com>