[WSBAPT] Question On Joint Personal Representatives

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Tue Jan 31 11:35:31 PST 2023

Down here in Oregon, some judges do not like to appoint co-PRs, but they often make an exception if the will so nominates.  All the judges see all day long are bad probates, often with co-PRs quarreling.  The good cases never make it past the probate court staff.  So the judges become very sensitive to co-PRs.  And when co-PRs quarrel, oftentimes the judge will appoint a neutral professional PR to make the problem go away.  So both PRs end up getting fired.
And then there is the question of whether you should represent one or both.  If you represent both, and they quarrel, what do you do?  Resign from both?  Probably.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500