[WSBAPT] Using LLCs for a Joint Venture

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Fri Jan 27 14:52:36 PST 2023

A joint venture is simply a version of a partnership.
Perhaps the best approach would be (as you suggest) two LLCs owning a third LLC.
My best guess is that the two single-member LLCs would not need to file separate income tax returns (they would use the respective social security number of their owner), but because the third LLC is not single-member it would need to get an EIN and file its own income tax returns.
And I think that (unlike the single-member LLCs) the third LLC (the two-member LLC) would definitely need an operating agreement, particularly with respect to what happens if they decide to split up.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500