[WSBAPT] 1099-C Cancellation of Debt

Jerimy Kirschner jerimy at jkirschnerlaw.com
Tue Jan 24 15:27:51 PST 2023

I believe the answer depends on whether the debtor (Estate) is solvent or
insolvent.  Generally speaking, a debtor who is solvent *after *the debt is
forgiven will have income to the lesser of their  level of the assets or
forgiven debt, unless the debt is forgiven through a bankruptcy discharge.
An Estate is expressly identified as a qualifying debtor for 1099-C.

Example:  If the estate is insolvent to the tune of ($100,000), but has
$250,000 in debt forgiven or uncollectible because the creditor claim
period expired, then the creditor may issue a 1099-C to the debtor (Estate)
for the $250,000.  If the Estate only has $50,000 in total assets, then
they would have $50,000 in income. I would look to amended any tax files if
that were the case.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2023 at 2:58 PM Jade Coppieters <jade at scarfflaw.com> wrote:

> If the creditor’s claim was not properly presented/filed, I would argue
> there is no debt from which income can result when it was “cancelled”. It’s
> hard to say it was even “cancelled”, since Wells Fargo simply failed to
> preserve their claim by not following the probate claims procedure. If the
> Estate was not obligated to pay the debt, how can it owe income when the
> debt is cancelled?
>

> I would ignore the 1099. Wells Fargo likely filed it with the IRS, which
> is frustrating as I suppose it could lead to questions from the IRS when no
> 1041 is filed.
>

> *J. M. Coppieters, Esq.*
>
> Phone: 206-236-1500
>
> Fax: 206-905-5912
>

> <http://www.scarfflaw.com/>

Jerimy Kirschner
Managing Partner
Jerimy Kirschner & Associates PLLC

*WASHINGTON*

1750 112th Avenue NE, Suite B-215

Bellevue, WA 98004

Phone: (425) 590-9019

Fax (206) 538-2008

Notice: This fax or email is from a law firm, Jerimy Kirschner & Associates
("JKA"), and is intended solely for the use and review of the individual(s)
to whom it is addressed. If you have received this fax or email in error,
please notify the sender immediately and destroy the fax and/or delete the
email from your computer.

If you are not an existing client of JKA, it is not the intent of this fax
or email to make you a client unless it contains a specific written
statement to that effect and do not disclose anything to JKA in reply that
you expect it to hold in confidence.

*IRS Circular 230 Disclaimer*: Any tax advice provided in this
communication (including attachments) is not intended or written to be
used, and it cannot be used, by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for
the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or
any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement
or other transaction.