[WSBAPT] 1099-C Cancellation of Debt

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Tue Jan 24 14:23:31 PST 2023

Believe it or not, I had a similar situation but it was with a lender and the amount was $400,000.00 (lender forgot to secure line of credit and 2 years lapsed).  One school of thought indicated she should report one-half as income, and given the potential penalties and interest, I encouraged that.  I should note she received her 1099 C in the beginning of the year following the year of the discharge and close of probate.  An attorney, whom I have the utmost respect for, indicated that because the debt was not enforceable there was no true forgiveness and the Executor should just hold on to the information. In this case I would defer to a cpa and just maybe provide the varying opinions.  I haven’t read Code Section 108 (discharge of indebtedness) in awhile so I’m a little rusty.

Ultimately, I would suspect that it is not reportable given the date of reporting by Wells Fargo (my personal opinion only).

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.