[WSBAPT] Issues with King County Recording

Alexis Singletary alexis at singletarylawoffice.com
Fri Jan 13 10:21:40 PST 2023

Thank you, Brent, for taking the laboring oar to compile illustrative examples for the Directive and Executive’s office!

My worst one lately-

Sending a Deed via US Mail the same day as it was signed in November, only to get it sent back 5 weeks later asking for penalties and interest on the Excise tax paid because “it has been more than 30 days since the Deed was signed” when it was the KC Recorder who simply did not process the Deed/REETA timely within the 30 days!!  “Please call our office to ensure the proper amount of excise tax and penalties are paid since the Deed is over 30 days.”  No phone # given to make such call.

The good thing was that they actually sent back my original mailing envelope in the return envelope I had included so the KC Recorder “received” stamp on my Deed packet was only 5 days after the Deed was signed, so because they let it sit on someone’s desk for another 26+ days, they allege my client is on the hook for penalties and interest in the excise tax due.

Absolutely Ridiculous.  Over 50 phone calls to the website general Recorder’s # in the subsequent 2 weeks went unanswered.  My assistant just did her work at her computer hitting redial to no avail.

We called Dept of Revenue Excise Tax Team for advice on KC’s error and ended up signing a new Deed and sending that up 2 weeks ago.  Still waiting for the recording fee and excise tax checks to clear the bank.  This was an Estate where one heir was bought out her share by others, so we did a quick TEDRA Agreement voiding the prior November Executor’s Deed and signing a new one.

Fingers crossed!!  I don’t record a lot of Deeds so I have not looked into Simplifile much, but it may just be time (if only to get rejections back faster- ha ha!)

Happy Friday!
Alexis
Alexis R. Singletary
Attorney at Law
Singletary Law Office, PLLC
(253) 833-8855
www.SingletaryLawOffice.com<http://www.singletarylawoffice.com/>

This message is from an attorney, so it’s confidential and may be protected by attorney-client privilege and/or the work-product doctrine.  If you are not the intended recipient, it’s too late to stop reading this message, but you may not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.