[WSBAPT] Issues with King County Recording

Jade Coppieters jade at scarfflaw.com
Thu Jan 12 12:41:11 PST 2023

  *   When relying on WAC 458-61A-201 (Gifts), the clerks demand that the WAC number on the REETA include (A)(1), (A)(2), (B)(1), (B)(2), (B)(3), or (B)(4), which are selections to be made on the REETA Supplemental Statement, but not at all related to the WAC section. Additionally, this “requirement” is nowhere in the instructions or on the website.
  *   Clerk insisted that WAC 458-61A-210 (Irrevocable Trusts) was inapplicable because the name of the irrevocable trust did not include the name of the grantor. (Repeated explanations that the trust’s name was irrelevant and self-settled trusts do not exist in Washington were futile.) Had to instead rely on the Gift WAC exemption.
  *   Refused to process a deed with 50% from an Estate and 50% from the surviving spouse, all going to the same grantee. Any deeds with multiple grantors are better processed as separate deeds (with separate filing fees), or risk being rejected over and over again.
  *   Rejection for name on REETA not matching description on deed exactly, despite not having sufficient room on the REETA.
  *   Rejection for writing “See Attached Exhibit A” for legal description box on REETA instead of filling in as much of the legal description as possible with “See Attached Exhibit A” at the end.

J. M. Coppieters, Esq.