[WSBAPT] Creditor claim on debt not due

Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com Jeff at bellanddavispllc.com
Fri Jan 6 13:26:12 PST 2023

This really requires knowing what type of debt is involved.  I agree with Josh that a guaranty should die with the guarantor’s passing, unless the primary obligor owed something at the time of death, which would be the limit of the estate’s obligation.  But to say a guarantee survives the guarantor’s death could leave to a very extended probate.  What about the 2 year limitation to file claims against the decedent?  Does that cut off the guarantee?  This isn’t like a Seller under a purchase & sale agreement dying.  Of course the Estate has to honor the deal.

This is like the evil time-share owners.  The time-share companies will not let you turn them back, during lifetime, continue to charge the maintenance fees even if the holder is 100 years old and in a nursing home.  They even try to say which heirs are going to pick up the obligation.

Jeff

W. Jeff Davis

BELL & DAVIS PLLC

Attorneys at Law
P.O. Box 510

720 E. Washington Street, Suite 105
Sequim WA 98382
Phone: (360) 683.1129
Fax: (360) 683.1258
email: jeff at bellanddavispllc.com <mailto:jeff at bellanddavispllc.com>
 <http://www.bellanddavispllc.com/> www.bellanddavispllc.com

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in error, please e-mail the sender at  <mailto:info at bellanddavispllc.com> info at bellanddavispllc.com  or call 360.683.1129.