[WSBAPT] Death of Minor Child and Unborn Child and Parents: Estate for Minor and Unborn Child?

Nick Pleasants npleasants at ohswlaw.com
Wed Feb 22 17:57:25 PST 2023

Jakob,
Great to hear from you, hope things are going well in Vancouver! I will caveat my response by saying that I don't regularly pursue wrongful death claims (especially for minors and unborn children), so you may want to check with someone who does. That said, I looked at RCW 4.24.010<https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=4.24.010> when it was amended in 2019, and my reading of that statute is a parent can pursue the claim for each child. Therefore, I don't think either child needs an estate opened, because the child's parent can pursue a claim on their behalf. Caveat that by realizing the parents are deceased, but I don't think the right to pursue the claim dies with them. I would argue the parents' estates have the right to pursue the claims on behalf of the children.
Best,
Nick

Nicholas Pleasants | Shareholder

[OseranHahnAttyatLaw 8]

11225 SE 6th Street | Suite 100 | Bellevue, WA 98004
Main: (425) 455-3900 | Fax: (425) 455-9201 | E-mail: npleasants at ohswlaw.com<mailto:npleasants at ohswlaw.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message contains information belonging to the law firm of Oseran Hahn, P.S., which may be privileged, confidential and/or protected from disclosure. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you think that you have received this message in error, please e-mail the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.