[WSBAPT] Is it a valid Will

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Sat Feb 4 18:01:13 PST 2023

Yes, and although I don't mean to harp "too much" on statutory interpretation, I think this is another reason it's so important to "return to basics" every time we analyze an issue in this fun, thorny field. A "will" is defined by statute and does not require one blasted disposition of one piece of property. It is an instrument that is executed properly under either of two statutes cited in the definition of "will." https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.02.005 - see sub (24).

Susie's will that only appoints an executor is just as valid as Jim's that only disposes of his home and adjacent acreage as Chris's that only names a guardian of her minor children and appoints her best friend who's a CPA as (for example) "trustee or custodian or whatever the law calls the person who cares for my minor children's money while my family are caring for my children, because my family can't manage money at all!"

How is that inadmissible or ambiguous or requiring of judicial anything other than appointment of the named people? It's plain English, and kudos to Chris for doing at least that much (if executed and witnessed as required, etc.).

If we consider basics - each time - then we get to the right answer. Otherwise, if we expect a document like a will to fit a template of our creation, then we can cause ourselves a lot of trouble, right up to committing malpractice.

Happy weekending, all! Best, Josh