[WSBAPT] Gift To Disabled Child Question

jbdolan at jbdolan.com jbdolan at jbdolan.com
Wed Dec 20 14:20:11 PST 2023

Parent owns home, is experiencing significant cognitive decline and may be
moving out of home to memory care.  Disabled daughter has been living in
parent's home, caring for parent, for approximately one year.  Parent has
minimal resources outside of the residence and will easily qualify for
Medicaid or COPES LTC benefits.

Contemplating transferring residence to disabled daughter per the 2 year
in-home adult child caregiver rule, but we may not make it two years before
daughter is unable to manage care and parent will need to move.  Therefore
we will probably transfer to daughter as disabled child.

Daughter receives $875 SSA survivor's benefit per month from deceased
father.  She also receives $30 per month SSI for her own disability (autism
spectrum pretty high functioning).  Daughter may or may not attempt to seek
employment if parent moves out of home.

Question: if we do transfer residence to disabled daughter, should we
transfer it to her directly or to a SNT?  I'd rather not deal with creating
a SNT but I'm thinking that is the smarter way to do it.

Thank you in advance for any opinions.

Jim Dolan

Jones Butler Dolan, PS

P.O. Box 458