[WSBAPT] 28yo unprobated will vs 28 years adverse possession - please speculate!

Dalynne Singleton dalynne at glgmail.com
Thu Dec 14 08:27:02 PST 2023

I had a case come up and posted on the listserve about a very OLD will which purports to give a home to a non-relative.  My client was the only son of the decedent and had no knowledge of the Will.  The person living in the home for years after death was being evicted by the son and the person living in the home told the eviction court that there was a Will, which the son thought was non-existent or may be fraudulent.  The eviction court told the son to open the probate and get an order regarding the Will.  No Will was ever produced and the client did not retain my firm to handle the probate.

When I researched the issue about a Will becoming stale after many, many years and realized once a Will is admitted to probate, there is still the 4 month deadline to contest the Will no matter the date or how long after death it was probated.  I found that a Will did not become stale just because it was not filed with the Court for more than 10 years.  It was a very strange circumstance indeed.  I never got to the question about the person in the home and any claims made for living there although the son knew he was there all those years…

Dalynne Singleton
Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection
1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291
360.568.5065
360.568.8092  fax
dalynne at glgmail.com<mailto:dalynne at glgmail.com>
Website:  www.glglawgroup.com<http://www.glglawgroup.com/>
Attorney/client meetings will be handled by teleconference or virtually whenever possible.  If you would like to set a telephone conference, zoom, or in person meeting, please call or email one my paralegals heather at glgmail.com<mailto:heather at glgmail.com> or valerie at glgmail.com<mailto:valerie at glgmail.com>.  Gourley Law Group legal assistant can be reached at paige at glgmail.com<mailto:paige at glgmail.com>.  Part-time paralegal Theresa Richards can be reached at theresa at glgmail.com<mailto:theresa at glgmail.com>.

LICENSED IN WASHINGTON
IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.