[WSBAPT] 28yo unprobated will vs 28 years adverse possession - please speculate!

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Wed Dec 13 17:57:34 PST 2023

Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

December 13, 2023

Wow, Eric, that is truly crazy.

I always assumed that statutes codify common sense (or cases that have been determined based on the court's common sense.) I understand that a nominated PR should not start administering an estate until they are authorized- banks and creditors, etc. need to know that they are dealing with an authorized person- hence Letters provide that proof. But, if a PR takes over a piece of real estate he/she knows to be devised for someone else shortly after the testator's death, it seems like they are implying to other natural heirs that they do so under some authority.

I guess if I were Y and I wanted to take possession of the house, I would argue that Z communicated through his/her actions that the home had been devised to Z and that, Y, being an ordinary person with no knowledge of the law, did not question it or know better.  Could Y argue the discovery rule? And say that the statute of limitations on adverse possession was tolled?  ( Is  AP the kind of time frame to which statute of limitations can be applied..? )

Generally, I'd say that unless there were other assets, it's sad that a parent would devise everything to only one child.  And, if the parent did devise in an equitable and fair manner, it's sad that one sibling might take what they aren't entitled to from their other sibling.

You'll have to let us know how this case ends!

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 940
Seattle, Washington 98101-2509
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com [1]

On 2023-12-13 17:08, Eric Nelsen wrote:

> Hi Andrekita--Facts have been altered to protect confidentiality but
> the scenario gets at some genuine issues I am grappling with. Glad you
> like it!
>
> Re legal duties of Z, my understanding is that no, Z has no duties at
> all under a will that hasn't been probated--except to file it in
> the court of appropriate jurisdiction if Z learns of X's death and Z
> has custody of the original. An executor named in a will has no
> duties, and in fact is expressly _not_ authorized to act, until the
> will has been probated and they have qualified by filing oath (and
> bond if required).
>
> So far as I'm aware, even if Z was appointed and qualified, Z still
> has no duty to tell anybody the contents of the will. Just mail the
> Notice of Appointment and Pendency of Probate to all heirs, legatees,
> devisees, etc., after performing reasonable diligence to obtain
> mailing addresses.
>
> One of the reasons that it's best for a testator to truly trust the
> person nominated as Executor.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Eric
>
> Eric C. Nelsen