[WSBAPT] Joint annuity and estate tax

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Wed Dec 6 15:47:03 PST 2023

Unless some special rule applies I've not encountered, I think you must break it down into steps:

  1.  H's estate includes 50% of annuity's FMV as of his 2/4/23 date of death, assuming it was community property.

  1.  If truly JTWROS with no minimum other than 5 days or whatever is in the annuity contract, 100% passed to wife after survivorship period. Now it is 100% in her taxable estate. I don't know of any reason the will would alter the annuity contract's survivorship period or anything else about its passage to her.

  1.  If H's will has estate tax planning that can "use" or "allocate" other funds to "use up" his exemption amount, great. But the annuity seems to be irrevocably in W's estate and not "useful" for allocation to his estate tax protection mechanism. (I imagine some here might wonder if she could give a promissory note or some such thing to the husband's estate for half the annuity's value or other clever ideas. But I just don't know how/why that would work. But that's a statement of ignorance, not confidence.)

  1.  W's estate includes 100% of annuity's FMV as of her 3/9/23 date of death. I can think of no way around that by step 4. Your solution, if anything, should have to do with steps 2 or 3.

But I very well may have just taken your watch and told you what time it is. If so, I apologize and I blame the headache bouncing around in my brain . . .

Good luck!