[WSBAPT] Eminent Adult Protective Services Visit

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Fri Aug 18 09:55:52 PDT 2023

I agree with Mark.  In the article that Jim Cartwright and I wrote, we list all the various things the lawyer can do to help ensure that the will is going to be valid and enforceable after death.  More importantly, we list them in the order of effectiveness.  Number 1 is to carefully document your interactions with the testator.  Which is to say that your file should carefully state what your client told you she wanted, and also states what you told her what her will would do.  She does not need to understand the intricacies of QTIP elections (although it would be nice if she did), but she needs to understand who the beneficiaries are and how/when they will be receiving their inheritances.  A well-documented file is the first line of defense.  Very hard to beat.  We owe that to our clients.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
900 S.W. Fifth Ave. Suite 2500