[WSBAPT] third party 'advance'

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Wed Aug 16 15:13:30 PDT 2023

Hi Roger,

I've had this from time to time.

Perils and Pitfalls:  Sometime a purchase of a distributive share. Sometime the advance is for an assignment of a distributive share.

The exchange is usually a small advance to the Seller in exchange for a large chunk of their distributive share.

I think no duty to warn the heir that the sale/ assignment  is a total rip-off.

I am leery of the information requested by the Purchaser.  The cause number and a copy of the Inventory is OK.  But some will ask the lawyer or the PR to confirm other info which drift over to the none-of-your-business category. Make the Purchaser rely upon  the information from the heir only and the public court file.

Sometimes I will be asked to confirm that the advance is protected by the assets in the estate.  Sometimes asked to basically validate the advance and guarantee facts or events.  High risk for getting dragged into issues that are totally unnecessary to the administration.

Read carefully of any docs submitted to the PR and say little in any phone call.

Often these arise with heirs who have few resources and the inheritance is a big windfall. They'll call with a sad story and pressure the PR to approve.  I hate it.

Good luck!

  Bruce Moen