[WSBAPT] Alzheimer's advance directive

Claudia A Gowan claudia at cagowanlaw.com
Wed Aug 9 12:59:26 PDT 2023

Kate, this is language that I include in my healthcare directives as an option for my clients to select if they want. It's probably not perfect but it conveys a client's intent and directions.

              DIAGNOSIS OF ALZHEIMER'S OR OTHER DEMENTIA. Where I am living with a diagnosis of Alzheimer's or other dementia, I hereby expressly state that I do want food and water where I am voluntarily taking such food or water, however where I refuse food or water, administration of such food or water shall cease except as may be provided for under the terms regarding hydration above. Further, if I am refusing medications, no medications shall be administered unless necessary to relieve pain or anxiety and maintain reasonable comfort. Consistent with the above provision regarding resuscitation, no resuscitation shall be performed where I am incapacitated by Alzheimer's or other dementia, and I direct that no machines providing medical related treatment shall be used to maintain my life where I am incapacitated by Alzheimer's or other dementia.

Best, Claudia

Claudia A. Gowan

Claudia A. Gowan, PLLC
2212 Queen Anne Avenue No., # 338 (Mailing only)
Seattle, WA 98109
(206) 443-2733 (T)
claudia at cagowanlaw.com<mailto:claudia at cagowanlaw.com>