[WSBAPT] RE appraiser/consultant

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Wed Apr 26 12:56:08 PDT 2023

Hi Allen,

I'll post publicly in the  hopes that these comments are helpful to others as well.

Whether to improve and/ or repair is an opinion area with lots of gray.

IMHO, you need both an appraiser and a candid realtor.

I'd get both.

The realtor should have better credentials for an opinion on marketing.  (Think: could I lay a foundation for this person's opinion if contested?)  But keep in mind that it is also in the self interest of the realtor  to recommend repairs and improvements. Self interest because conventional wisdom is that the house will sell faster even if not for a higher price.  Thus the relator gets their commission faster.

At least, this is what I've been told is conventional wisdom.

There is much literature on where to make improvements in order to get back the money invested.  Generally the kitchen and bath, but not always the case.

A good realtor can tell you whether the Buyer is likely to remodel (because the house is dated and don't bother with any improvements) or, alternatively, where an inexpensive improvement will be practical to assist in the marketing.

A good relator can also predict whether the repairs will minimize the odds of a Buyer attempting to renegotiate the sale price after the Buyer's inspection.

If you do not have a relationship with a realtor, then seek input on the above points in a gentle, friendly conversational cross-examination.

The above is my experience.

Good luck!

  Bruce