[WSBAPT] Request from Creditor for DC & Letters

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Apr 25 10:51:28 PDT 2023

I try to evaluate these situations carefully each time, but in general I have concluded that (1) the PR has no duty to provide information to a creditor beyond the statutory notice requirements, and (2) because of that, it’s not clear to me that disclosure is impliedly authorized against the confidentiality presumption in RPC 1.6, so I’d need client authorization before providing.

And of course the PR asks me what to do, and I advise that there’s no duty to provide further information. Sometimes the PR says go ahead, sometimes they say ignore the request.

That said—on occasion if I’m concerned that I’m going to get saddled with a creditor claim on the wrong case and it will create an expensive mess to fix, or there are other factors involved, I advise the PR that it’s better to cooperate. As Inge points out, sometimes there is a reason the Estate wants cooperation from the creditor.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.