[WSBAPT] Naming a testamentary trust as beneficiary of non-probate asset

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Wed Apr 19 10:31:55 PDT 2023

That has been my response in the past and it has worked.  I actually have provided the language as you have to the institutions.  Some will let you say see attached and attach the longer, personalized language.

For what it's worth, I have used the following language - just in case the client  updates their Will but not their bene designation:

To the Trustee of the Trust(s) created FBO _______________(could be name, could be class) under the Last Will and Testament of ___________ (or sometimes, with life insurance I just say of the Insured or with QP, of the Plan Participant).

Also, sometimes, if the trust is one that pays out during the bene's lifetime (like some do - pay at 30, 35, 40 or whatever), I address that in an additional beginning to the designation to trust and make sure the first contingent beneficiary is the person outright.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.