[WSBAPT] Petition for Administration under RCW 11.76.243

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Apr 18 10:50:18 PDT 2023

I haven’t petitioned for Letters in this exact situation before but I don’t think it differs from any other petition for probate, except in place of any proof of death I’d just recite RCW 11.76.243 and indicate that the petitioner is proceeding based on the statutory prima facie proof of death.

I wonder what the administration is going to look like, though. The “prima facie proof” after 4 years appears to conflict with the 7-year requirement under RCW 11.05A.050(5). Maybe the estate would have to sit open until the person has been missing for 7 years? And I think the PR would have some duty to do some searching to try to find the presumed-deceased. Credit report maybe, which would show if there has been any economic activity.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.