[WSBAPT] Living Trust issue

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Mon Apr 17 20:36:55 PDT 2023

My vote is that an estate does not exist unless a PR is appointed, or a small estate affidavit is filed.  If an estate does exist prior to those events, who acts on behalf the estate.  If Mom dies with three kids surviving, does each of the three kids get to act independently on behalf of her estate?  Of course not.
In other words, if the check payable to her estate is to be deposited to an IOLTA account, who is going to endorse it over to the IOLTA account?  I don't see how anyone can endorse it without being appointed by the court.
As I mentioned before, establishing a good relationship with a friendly bank teller while Mom was still alive might have been an option, but it appears to be too late for that.  One occasionally hears stories of friendly bank tellers helping out in a situation like this.
Warning!  War story follows!  I once organized my college reunion.  I stupidly had everyone make their checks out to "Lewis & Clark College Reunion."  When I walked into my bank with a big stack of such checks, I suddenly realized that I would not be able to deposit them.  I showed them to my favorite teller, and she said, "Don't worry.  We know where you live."
Make friends with a teller today.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP