[WSBAPT] sublease & RCW 59.18

Kelby Derenick kelby at derenicklaw.com
Mon Apr 17 16:02:28 PDT 2023

It is my understanding that in these situations the Lessee becomes the
landlord in regards to the relationship with the Sublessee who is renting
the room.  So the normal landlord-tenant laws apply.  The Sublessee is the
tenant and Lessee is the landlord.  One important provision to remember for
room rentals in the recently passed statute addressing termination - RCW
59.18.650 - is that if a bathroom or kitchen is shared, the landlord only
has to give 20 days' notice of termination before the end of the term.  RCW
59.18.650(2)(i).

If I recall there are also some federal cases that allow the landlord to
deny potential tenants based on gender and age who are going to rent rooms
in a house where the landlord also resides, when otherwise it is
prohibited.

Kelby J. Derenick
Attorney

*9414 State Ave., Suite E*

*Marysville, WA 98270Ph: (206) 659-5061*

*14 E. Main Street, Suite 207*
*Walla Walla, WA 99362*
*Ph: (509) 676-9805*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic mail message contains information
that (a) is or may be legally privileged, confidential, proprietary in
nature, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure, and (b) is intended
only for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not the
intended recipient, an addressee, or the person responsible for delivering
this to an addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, using, copying,
or distributing any part of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this electronic mail message in error, please contact me
immediately and take the steps necessary to delete the message completely
from your computer system.  Thank you.