[WSBAPT] Assumption of Mortgage by Surviving Spouse

Marcus J. Fry mjf at witherspoonkelley.com
Wed Sep 28 08:21:04 PDT 2022

Nick:
Honestly, I have never tried to force the bank to allow the surviving spouse(if not already on the loan)/surviving heir to assume the loan.  The Garn St. Germain Act essentially states that the bank cannot trigger the due on transfer clause for death if the single family residence is passed to an heir.  I generally just leave the probate open so that the spouse/heir has authority to communicate to the bank.  Also, there is a huge benefit of not assuming as the surviving spouse/heir does not have his/her credit impacted as he/she is not on the loan.  I just deed the property from the estate to the surviving spouse/heir and move on.  If there are multiple beneficiaries, then that is different and you may need indemnification/assumption of liability agreement between the beneficiary receiving the house and the other beneficiaries not receiving it.

-Marcus

Marcus J. Fry
Attorney | Witherspoon * Kelley
mjf at witherspoonkelley.com<mailto:mjf at witherspoonkelley.com> | Attorney Profile<https://www.witherspoonkelley.com/marcus-j-fry> | vCard<https://www.witherspoonkelley.com/s/mfj.vcf>

[cid:WK-Email-Logo_8ac8613e-356a-401d-bc99-22b12b819f24.png]

222 N. 3rd Street
Yakima, WA 98901
(509) 248-7220 (office)
(509) 575-1883 (fax)
witherspoonkelley.com

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this email and any accompanying attachment(s) is intended only for the use of the intended recipient and may be confidential and/or privileged. If any reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete the original message and all copies from your system. Thank you.