[WSBAPT] PR best advice on investments when portfolio is down

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Tue Sep 27 16:25:15 PDT 2022

Two thoughts.

I view 11.100.060 as a starting point for a probate and not a guaranteed immunity for sitting on a portfolio.
If a large account (and thus a large potential PR liability ), I'd consult with an independent consultant and not a sales person.  A broker gets a commission and thus  their advice is admissible but gets less weight because of their self interest.

Next issue is the ability to pay tax obligations. If the portfolio drops sufficiently to render the estate unable to pay death taxes and creditors, then I think malpractice. Acting upon the advice of an independent consultant would help in arguing that the PR was acting reasonably to meet the standard of care. IMHO, the standard is a moving target based upon the assets and liabilities involved..

  Bruce Moen