[WSBAPT] Authority to resolve IRS tax issues without a probate?

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Sep 27 15:01:39 PDT 2022

I have an estate where surviving spouse is an innocent spouse on some back tax issues that the decedent concealed during his life, some business related, some personal; not sure but it's possible the decedent might have signed an offer in compromise with IRS some years ago.

Unless these IRS issues require it, probate is likely unnecessary. But I have a CPA telling me that the IRS won't let the surviving spouse get information concerning the tax issues, or deal with them, without being appointed as PR, or just pre-accepting full liability for anything they find out. Is this true? Is there no way that a surviving spouse can deal with these issues without starting a largely useless probate, or just conceding everything to the IRS?

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.