[WSBAPT] Translation of Death Certificate Needed (Spanish) & Apostille for Mexican Real Property

David Faber david at faberfeinson.com
Thu Sep 22 11:05:17 PDT 2022

Good morning,

A client of mine died owning real property in Mexico with their partner
JTWROS (or Mexico's equivalent). We are attempting to provide a death
certificate to the relevant Mexican authorities to remove client's name
from title, which requires a translation of the death cert. to Spanish and
an apostille from the WA SOS office.

(1) What translation service do you recommend? I tried searching it out and
can't find an easy answer to what is a sufficient translation service but
figure someone on this list would have relevant experience working with a
translator.

(2) The apostille instructions on the SOS website are confusing. What
precisely do we need to have receive the apostille? Is it the Death
Certificate itself or is it a notarized copy of the translation? I would
very much like to avoid wasting time and money going after an apostille on
the wrong document.

Thank you very much.

Best,
David J. Faber
Faber Feinson PLLC
800 Polk Street, Suite B
Port Townsend, WA 98368
(360) 379-4110

*** NOTICE: ATTORNEY CLIENT COMMUNICATION - PRIVILEGED & CONFIDENTIAL.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that
you have received this communication in error, please do not print,
copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also,
please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in
error, and destroy the copy you received.***