[WSBAPT] Pooled trust / options for non-DDD estate beneficiary

Peter D. Haroldson peter at torresharoldson.com
Thu Sep 15 12:18:38 PDT 2022

Hello all,

I am a probate GAL for a person who is under 65, experiencing long-term homelessness, and has documented long term mental health challenges likely exacerbated by homelessness.  Unfortunately, I cannot count on this person being able or willing to help me.   It has taken months just to get an in person meeting coordinated.

This person will inherit about $80-85k from a parent's estate.

This person reports receipt of some combination of SSI and SSA.  It is direct deposited to a bank account.  Without more information I cannot determine whether the benefits are needs-based but since it is SSI in part I suspect that it is.  The person has no paperwork except some medical bills which indicate that Medicare is the insurer.  I suspect a SNT is necessary, in an abundance of caution.

Some 10+ years ago the person applied for, but apparently never completed the process or was not eligible for, DD services.  I have confirmed with DD that the person is not receiving services.  I suspect the person is not able or willing to follow through with a new application for services.

The last option I want to deploy is a limited conservatorship as (1) I anticipate difficulty in finding a nominee (family does not wish to be involved), (2) a conservatorship does not address a potential loss of benefits from receipt of the inheritance, and (3) I do not want this small inheritance to be eaten up by fees and admin expenses.

A court-monitored SNT still has issues (1) and especially (3).

The pooled trusts that I am aware of are limited to DD recipients.  Proof of eligibility within the past two years is required.

  1.  Is there a pooled trust option for non-DD beneficiaries who need protection of a trust, specifically a SNT, for a small inheritance.
  2.  Does anyone have any other solutions they have used successfully?

Sincerely,

Peter D. Haroldson
Torres & Haroldson, PLLC
PO BOX 530
Maple Valley, WA 98038
Email: peter at torresharoldson.com<mailto:peter at torresharoldson.com>
Facebook: fb.me/torresharoldson<https://fb.me/torresharoldson>
Phone: 425.458.3170

Our office is located at 22520 SE 218th Street, Maple Valley WA 98038.  Please send mail to PO BOX.

NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any attachments, may be protected by attorney-client privilege, the work product doctrine or other applicable legal protections.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify the sender and promptly delete the message. Thank you for your cooperation.
CLIENT ADVISORY:   If you have not received a Reply to an e-mail message within forty-eight hours, please call our office to ensure receipt of your message.
IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLAIMER:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or tax-related matter addressed herein.