[WSBAPT] Basic Trust/Creditor Question

Claudia A Gowan claudia at cagowanlaw.com
Wed Sep 14 17:49:59 PDT 2022

Philip, if I am thinking correctly, it sounds like you are saying that in cases where the trustee is found negligent, that the whole of the trust assets are liable. I agree.

But chasing down a little ambiguity, it's not that you are suggesting that there may be instances where Property A is liable, but not Property B?

For example, in the tort type action that Jacob is envisioning, if a third party contractor causes an issue and the trustee wasn't negligent in hiring the third party or in hiring a property manager who hired the third party, then the trust property probably wouldn't be liable at all - the third party would.

Jacob, if you haven't checked the Restatement for trusts, you might want to look there. Mine is in my storage since COVID hit and I don't have easy access to it or I would check for some actual support.

Best, Claudia

Claudia A. Gowan

Claudia A. Gowan, PLLC
2212 Queen Anne Avenue No., # 338 (Mailing only)
Seattle, WA 98109
(206) 443-2733 (T)
claudia at cagowanlaw.com<mailto:claudia at cagowanlaw.com>

www.seattletrustsandestates.com<http://www.seattletrustsandestates.com/>

Recognizing the risk of coronavirus for our clients and colleagues, we are working remotely. Our direct email and telephone contact information, which has not changed, along with  a  permanent mailing address is noted above.