[WSBAPT] An HOV Violation question

Dave Culbertson dculbertson at culbertsonlawoffice.com
Mon Oct 31 16:03:53 PDT 2022

Hi, James.
Thanks for the info. Yes, that fits with what my friend described. I just spoke to Good-To-Go customer service, and the meaning of "HOV Lane Mode" as far as I can tell is that it informs the system you have a Good-To-Go pass and therefore you get a discount on the posted fee-if the signs say "$1.00", you either pay 1.00 or even 0.00 if you are on certain stretches of road (I-405, SR 167). Whereas if you have no Good-To-Go pass or account, you'll end up paying $3.00 if they mail you the toll to pay.
IF that is all it means-then the officer never established in his factual statements that the car was in the HOV lane. If that's the case....there is insufficient evidence of the violation.
So my gnawing doubt-customer service simply didn't know enough to say whether the white light also means the car is in the HOV lane. So the judge might say "I'm taking judicial notice that the white light only flashes when a car is in the HOV lane....". In which case it would have been wiser to accept the plea offer of reduction to a non-moving violation.
dc