[WSBAPT] IRA Payable to Estate - PR"s authority to distribute in kind or cash and distribute cash (with K-1)

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Thu Oct 27 13:16:20 PDT 2022

Unless the IRA is sizable, and there is some way to avoid the outcome provided by the decedent (inadvertently or otherwise), the PR is probably "right on" - at least as of the last time I dealt with this a few years ago (knock wood).

I'm not sure the PR can direct the IRA custodian to just create a bunch of smaller "inherited IRAs" AFTER it falls to the estate. But admittedly lots has changed in the prior 3 years, so I don't want you to take that to the bank.

But especially if the IRA is not huge, if you can achieve complete distribution and pass-through taxation via K-1s, then that is sometimes just the best you can do. Just make darn sure you're timing things correctly and with financial advisor, CPA who will do estate return and send K-1s, and alert beneficiaries of the coming K-1.

Hope that helps! Best, Josh